Download Cygwin Portable for free. Portable Unix-like environment for Windows. Cygwin Portable is now abandonned because I have no time or interest to develop it further.
Application: Cygwin Category: Utilities Description: Cygwin is a collection of tools which provide a Linux look and feel environment for Windows using a DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API layer providing substantial Linux API functionality. Download Cygwin 1.7.34 Development Test 1 427 KiB download / 126 MiB installed. Installing and Updating Cygwin Packages Installing and Updating Cygwin for 64-bit versions of Windows. Run setup-x8664.exe any time you want to update or install a Cygwin package for 64-bit windows. The signature for setup-x8664.exe can be used to verify the validity of this binary. Installing and Updating Cygwin for 32-bit versions of Windows. Cygwin is designed to provide functionality similar to a Linux distribution on Windows with a large selection of precompiled apps. Cygwin comes with an installer to be sure you have the latest version. It is not a shell replacement or even a replacement for Windows but rather, provides a Terminal which allows you to execute Linux commands.
|cygwin is Linux environment and command-line interface for Windows|
To know completely about cygwin click here.
Cygwin uses a small setup file to download the large setup file from the mirrors.
You can install cygwin in 2 ways.
- 1. Install cygwin online.
- 2. Install cygwin offline.
- 1. Download the cygwin setup file from here.
- 2. Run the downloaded setup file as an administrator.
- 3. Click 'Next'.
- 4. Select 'Download Without Installing' and then 'Next'
- 5. Select the local folder in which you should place your setup files by clicking 'Browse..'
- 6. Select the folder to download offline installer files and then 'OK'
- 7. Choose your internet connection method which by default is 'Direct Connection'.
- 8. Select the mirrors from which site your setup file should be from and click 'Next'.
- 9. Wait for the original set up file to be downloaded.
- 10.Choose the packages you want and click 'Next'
Download Cygwin Installer
- 11.Wait for the download to complete. It may take 5-10 Minutes depending your connection speed and selected mirror.
- 12.Click 'Finish'.
- That's it!! Now you have offline installar to install cygwin offline.Copy downloaded directory, along with the 'setup.exe' program, over to your target computerWhen the setup asks 'Choose a download source', choose Install From Local DirectoryComplete setup as usual. No Internet access is required.
Download Cygwin For Windows 7
Cygwin is not:
- a way to run native Linux apps on Windows. You must rebuild your application from source if you want it to run on Windows.
- a way to magically make native Windows apps aware of UNIX functionality like signals, ptys, etc. Again, you need to build your apps from source if you want to take advantage of Cygwin functionality.
The Cygwin DLL currently works with all recent, commercially released x86 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows, starting with Windows XP SP3.
The Cygwin tools are ports of the popular GNU development tools for Microsoft Windows. They run thanks to the Cygwin library which provides the POSIX system calls and environment these programs expect.
With these tools installed, it is possible to write Windows console or GUI applications that make use of significant parts of the POSIX API. As a result, it is possible to easily port many Unix programs without the need for extensive changes to the source code. This includes configuring and building most of the available GNU software (including the packages included with the Cygwin development tools themselves) as well as lots of BSD tools and packages (including OpenSSH). Even if the development tools are of little to no use to you, you may have interest in the many standard POSIX utilities provided with the package. They can be used from one of the provided Unix shells like bash, tcsh or zsh, as well as from the standard Windows command shell if you have to for some sad reason.