Jun 27, 2020 Navigate to the Home tab in Microsoft Word’s toolbar. Click on the Show/Hide paragraph symbols button situated in the Paragraph section of the Home tab of Word’s toolbar. As soon as you click on the button, if Word was configured to show paragraph symbols, it will hide them. The instructions below are for Microsoft Word for Mac, version 16. All of the options for showing formatting and styles will only show up on your screen—they will not affect the printed version of a document. Formatting marks. Formatting marks may look like clutter if you aren’t used to them, but they hold a lot of useful information.
The Show/Hide ¶ icon is a toggle. Click it once to show non-printing characters and a second time to hide them. Showing non-printing characters is particularly useful in the proofing/editing stage—after you've finished the writing. (Having non-printing characters visible while creating a document, on the other hand, can be distracting.). To show the formatting marks: Press Control+Shift+. Press those three keys again to hide the formatting marks. Alternatively, click the paragraph symbol in the Paragraphs section of the Home tab. File - Options - Display - Always show these formatting marks on the screen, and choose paragraph marks.
To display or hide formatting marks (e.g., spaces, tabs, and paragraphbreaks) in a Microsoft Word document:
Word for Windows
- In Word 2010, on the File tab, click Options. InWord 2007, from the Office Button menu, select WordOptions near the bottom right corner of the menu.
- Select Display from the listing at the left.
- In the section titled 'Always show these formatting marks on thescreen', check or uncheck the appropriate boxes to view the marks ofyour choice. To show or hide them all, select Show all formatting marks.
- To save your changes, click OK.
Word for Mac OS X
- From the Word menu, select Preferences....
- Select View.
- In the section titled 'Nonprinting characters', check or uncheckthe appropriate boxes to view the marks of your choice. CheckAll to see all formatting marks.
- To save your changes, click OK.
You can also toggle between displaying and hiding formattingmarks. To do so:
- In Word for Windows, on the Home tab, in the Paragraphgroup, click the paragraph icon.
- In Word for Mac OS X, click the paragraph icon in the Standardtoolbar. If you don't see the icon, from the View menu,choose Toolbars, and then check Standard.
Have you ever opened up a Word document to find it full of paragraph marks and other symbols?
If you’re editing the doc or troubleshooting a formatting issue, you may find this view especially useful. But if you don’t want to see the formatting marks, simply toggle the paragraph button–seen in the middle of the ribbon above or as described in the video–to turn them off.
Hide Paragraph Marks In Microsoft Word For Mac Free
If the toggle button didn’t work, you may try this method:
- From the File tab, select Options.
- Click the Display tab.
- In the section Always show these formatting marks on the screen, un-check everything exceptObject Anchors.
- Press OK.
Microsoft Word For Mac Free Download
For information on what the formatting symbols represent, check out this page: What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the words in my document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean? (Note: some of the references are to earlier versions of Word, but the explanations are still generally up to date.)