Add WMV files into the program by dragging-n-dropping or clicking 'Add File' button 2. Select Mac playable file (mp4, mov, m4v) from 'Profile' drop-down menu as output format. Hit 'Convert' button at the bottom of the screen to start converting WMV.
- Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Catalina
- Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Os
- Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Windows 7
- Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Windows 10
- Windows Media Video (WMV) is a video data compression technology developed by Microsoft. Version history. Flip4Mac 2.1 was released on July 2006 with support for Intel-based Macs. Flip4Mac 3.0 was released on September 2012 with support for 64-bit improvements as well as Gatekeeper. It also includes Flip Player, a new multi-format video player with the ability to play the most common Windows Media formats.
- Step 1: Import WMV source files. Simply click the 'Add File' button on the top toolbar of the app to locate and choose WMV videos you want to convert for use in QuickTime. Or you can directly use drag-and-drop feature to load WMV files to the program's interface.
Though WMV is natively supported by Windows Media Player, you may still need a WMV video player for Mac or Windows. WMV, stands for Windows Media Video, is a compressed video file format developed by Microsoft for Windows-based machines. For easy sharing via the email and internet, WMV are popular among most platforms.
Unfortunately, the pre-installed media player cannot decode WMV videos except Windows. On the other hand, there are a few media players support WMV files. This article will identify and share the best WMV video players available to Mac OS X and Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP.
Part 1: Best cross-platform WMV player: AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player
Today, many people have multiple computers at work place and home that are running different operating systems. If you need a cross-platform WMV player, AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player is the best option, which offers a lot of advanced functionality for playing videos. The software can handle every type of video format you’re likely to come across, including WMV, MP4, MOV, AVI, FLV, etc. Aside from playing video files, it also offers supports for audio, as well as Blu-ray and DVD movies. The options for customizing video playback are very impressive.
- • Play WMV video files on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Mac OS X.
- • Utilize hardware and software acceleration technology to offer smooth video playback.
- • Support almost all video and audio formats in addition to WMV.
- • Let you enjoy 4K and 1080p HD videos without any lagging or quality loss.
- • Optimize and enhance video quality using advanced algorithm.
Anyway, it is the best way to watch WMV videos on your computer.
How to play WMV with the best quality
Step 1: Import WMV videos into the best video player
Download and install AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player on your PC. If you are using a MacBook Pro/Air/iMac, download the Mac version. Then launch it from your desktop and click the Open File button. In the open file dialog, locate the WMV file and open it, then you will be presented the menu interface.
Step 2: Customize WMV playback based on your needo
Select your favorite audio track and subtitle, and then hit the Play icon at bottom to start play the WMV file. You have several ways to control the playback. The quick control icons can be found at the bottom, as well as you can use hotkeys. If you want to reset advanced settings related to video and audio, go to the Video and Audio menu on the top ribbon.
Part 2: 4 best WMV players for Mac
Top 1: VLC Media Player
- • Support almost all video formats, including WMV, AVI, MKV, MP4, etc.
- • Lightweight and use little memory and process power when playback WMV.
- • Play online WMV videos from websites through video addresses and URL.
- • Compatible with Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS X, iOS and Android devices.
- • Open source and totally free of charge without ads, spyware or virus.
Top 2: Elmedia Player
- • Decode popular media formats including WMV, FLV, SWF, AVI, and more.
- • Play WMV video files on Mac OS X without converting or transcoding.
- • Download online unprotected WMV videos from websites through the internet.
- • Create playlists and manage your favorite movies on Mac computers simply.
- • Include many bonus tools, such as making snapshot while playing videos and full screen mode.
Top 3: Movist
- • Support a large number of video and audio formats, like WMV, MOV, MP4, etc.
- • Work well on most devices running Mac operating systems.
- • Pack a concise interface that lets you to find what you want quickly and simply.
- • Allow you to adjust video saturation, brightness, contrast, playback speed, subtitles and other custom options.
- • Based on FFmpeg and QuickTime codecs, so free to download and use.
Top 4: MPlayerX
- • Support almost any video formats including WMV, AVI, MP4, MKV, etc.
- • Play both local videos and online media files for free.
- • Recognize the video files on your hard drive and decode them using the best codecs.
- • Let you enjoy WMV videos on Mac OS X with no additional plugins or codecs.
- • Pack a straight interface with extensive functionalities and available to both average people and advanced users.
Part 3: Top 4 WMV players for Windows
Top 1: Windows Media Player
- • Pre-installed on any Windows operating systems and free of charge.
- • Lightweight and not require a lot of space on your desktop.
- • Able to play WMV video files on Windows 10/8/7 without extra plugins or codecs.
- • Support both playback of local video and audio files as well as online streaming.
- • Integrate full keyboard-based operation.
Top 2: MPC-HC
- • Open source and available to most video and audio formats, such as WMV, MP4, AVI, etc.
- • Extremely lightweight and no ads, spyware or toolbars.
- • Offer basic option custom options to adjust volume and other parameters.
- • Work well on any Windows machines including old computer back from 2000.
- • Get updates and support from the official website for free.
Top 3: GOM Media Player
- • Capable of playing audio and video formats like WMV, AVI, MKV, MOV, and more.
- • Incorporate multiple enhanced functionalities and settings.
- • Pack a friendly interface and easy to navigate and use.
- • Free to download and use if you do not mind the popups and ads.
- • Let you watch online videos while downloading.
Top 4: DivX
- • Play your favorite videos encoded in WMV, MKV, MP4, AVI, etc.
- • Support video resolution up to 4K and full 1080p HD.
- • Cast any video files from computer to HDTV or smart TV.
- • Convert WMV video files to another format for playing on PC or mobile.
- • Offer both a free version and a pro version to meet different need.
Part 4: FAQs of WMV Player
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Catalina
What is a WMV file?
Microsoft developed WMV (Windows Media Video) as a digital video format that works natively with Windows Media Player and other Microsoft applications.
Can VLC play WMV videos?
WMV file format can be easily played on Windows operating system using VLC media player.
How can I play WMV files in Chrome?
Google Chrome will not automatically play WMV files as this requires Windows Media Player, which is not a default plug-in within the Chrome browser. You use VLC to play a WMV file in Chrome. Make sure that you have installed VLC with all plugins/extensions. Then, go to Google Web Store and type “chrome://plugins”. You will receive a notification “VLC Web Plugin” that means you have successfully installed VLC Media Player plugin for Chrome.
This post has shared top 9 WMV video players for Windows and Mac users to enjoy video files on their computers. WMV is a popular video format; however, QuickTime and most media players on Mac cannot decode WMV files. Moreover, multi-device users expect to get a cross-platform WMV player. Therefore, we identified the best media players compatible with WMV format based on the lab testing and hundreds of users' report. We hope that our sharing are helpful to you.
Since macOS doesn't come with any software that can play WMV files, if you have got some WMV videos and want to play them on your Mac, you may be wondering how to play WMV on Mac. The good news is that there are many programs can help you convert WMV to Mac friendly MOV, MP4 and M4V format. Meanwhile, there are some free WMV players for Mac that lets you watch WMV videos on Mac for free. Below are several best ways to play WMV videos on Mac (including newly macOS 10.15 Catalina).
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Os
As we know, QuickTime and iTunes are perfect for playing videos on Mac. However, WMV format is not supported by QuickTime or iTunes. Fortunately, with the help of Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate, you can easily and quickly convert WMV to QuickTime and iTunes MOV or MP4 with the video quality preserved. It's built-in video player allows you to watch WMV and any other video on Mac without any hassles. Besides, this Mac video converter can also convert WMV and any other popular video format to M4V, MKV, FLV, ASF, AVI, MPG, MTS, TS, etc. Get it now and play WMV videos anywhere you like!
How to Play WMV on Mac Easily
01 Download Aimersoft WMV Player
Click the Free Download button below to install Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate on your Mac. It is compatbile with macOS 10.6-10.15. Open it. Click the Add Files button to load the WMV on your Mac.
Now the WMV video is displayed in the program as thumbnail. Move your mouse over the thumbnail, and click the Play icon.
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Windows 7
02 Play WMV on Mac
Now it's playing WMV on Mac! You can enjoy the full screen by clicking the first icon at the lower-right corner. And it also allows you to take the screenshot of the video.
Part 2. How to Convert WMV to MOV (macOS Official Format)
Well, if you want more than playing WMV on Mac, and want to edit the WMV, you will have to convert WMV to MOV. The following will show you the steps.
01 Add WMV to Aimersoft Converter
To convert WMV on Mac, simply click Add Files on the left bottom to import the WMV videos to the program. Multiple WMV files can be added and converted at one time.
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Windows 10
02 Choose MOV as output format
Then choose video formats and select the preferred video format as output format. You can do it following: Convert all tasks to > Video > MOV > and then choose a resolution.
03 Convert WMV to MOV
The last step is to click on the Convert All button. After a few seconds, you can get the MOV files on the Converted tab.
Free download Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate on your Mac. You will have no more troubles with the WMV files any more!
Part 3. Other Tools to Play WMV on Mac
#1. Windows Media Player for Mac
You might be surprised that you can use Windows Media Player to play WMV files on Mac for free. Yeah, there is a Mac version of Windows Media Player. However, there is no upgrade of this Mac app from Microsoft. Install it on your Mac and then you are able to watch your WMV videos on Mac smoothly.
Flip4Mac is another program provided by Microsoft that can help you play WMV videos on Mac. It's a Windows Media component for QuickTime. By installing it on your Mac, you can play WMV directly in QuickTime Player. But you may find that Flip4Mac only supports WMV on Mac, any other format like AVI, MKV or FLV are not supported. And WMV playback is also in the basic level, if you want to get a better visual effects, you need to upgrade your Flip4Mac to a pro version at least.
#3. VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is one of the best free WMV players for Mac. With it, you can play WMV, AVI, MKV, FLV, etc. non-Apple formats on your Mac without any troubles. The only question is that you may need to install some codec packages to make VLC work on WMV. Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate for Mac helps you bypass these question.