Last Updated on December 15, 2020.
“You’re not too old for me to put you across my knee,” he said. “You’ll have to catch me first!” she shouted back, and disappeared through the hole and into the alley on the other side. “Say hello to Mac for me!” Barry bellowed after her. He chuckled and rubbed the back of his head with his cigar hand. The debut album from You+Me, available now. Download on iTunes: Stream rose ave. On Spotify: http://smarturl.it/.
What better way to add some embellishments to your songs than with an orchestral plugin? Even better if its free, right?
Orchestral samples, and samples in general, have come a long way.
They were practically unusable back in the day, but now, even though you can hear the difference between a sample software and the real deal, they sound astoundingly similar.
I love finding free software that actually works, so in this post I will go into each of the ones I found and tried, this way you won’t have to do any of the research and try the ones that sucked, like I did!
All of the download links are included!
The Best Orchestral Plugins are:
Best Free Full Orchestra VSTs
While every single one on this list is a good plugin overall, there are two which stand out.
Layers by Orchestral Tools
Layers is an ultra realistic orchestral sample library that features a full orchestra, Brass-, Woodwinds-, and Strings sections.
You can choose between a couple different mic positions and it also features different articulations; different chord types, staccato and sustain unison, and more.
In total, the sample pack is about 17GB and runs on Windows 10 and Mac OS.
Lastly, Layers works with Orchestral Tools’ SINE Player.
You can download Layers here.
Total Composure Orchestra (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Total Composure Orchestra is a full orchestral sample library created using only samples in the public domain.
Total Composure is the first to offer such a library exclusively for the Kontakt format; making use of Kontakt’s scripting capabilities to greatly enhance the playability, realism, and functionality of these public domain samples.
This is a fantastic plugin, it comes with a huge array of instruments from pianos, to brass instruments, strings and percussion.
One bad thing about this plugin is that it runs both on Kontakt Player, which is free, and the full version of Kontakt, but on Kontakt player you can only use the samples for about 30 min before it stops working.
If you want to be able to use them to their fullest extent, you will need to purchase Kontakt.
You can download Total Composure Orchestra here.
Related: List of the best Choir VST Plugins available.
I mentioned Spitfire in a couple of my posts simply because they have some of my top recommendations as far as free plugins go.
LABS is basically a collection of free VST and AU plugins that not only sound fantastic, but that is also being updated consistently, with new plugins being added over time.
Here you will find great-sounding samples of any orchestral instrument you can think of.
You can download LABS here.
The Free Orchestra by Project Sam
Project Sam is behind Symphobia, which is one of the best-rated libraries for film scoring, video games and TV, and they created the Free Orchestra library which contains bits and pieces of all of their paid products.
What struck me the most about this free library is how great it sounds as soon as you load it up; there is little to no tweaking required.
Now, it runs on KONTAKT (6.2. or higher), but luckily it works in the free version which can be beneficial to you if you’re interested in using KONTAKT but don’t want to purchase the premium version just yet.
Parameters such as envelope controls, effects, octaver, and reverse make this library very versatile to use.
All in all, if you’re a beginner tipping their toes into the whole orchestral world, this entry level library could just be what you need.
You can download the Free Orchestra here.
DSK Overture Orchestra (Windows)
DSK Overture is a full orchestral sample VST plugin.
It gives you the ability to choose between 40 different instruments and play 4 of those instruments in the same instance, through MIDI.
The included instruments are; Acoustic Piano, Harpsichord, Bassoon, Celesta, Glockenspiel, Vibes, Harp, Flute, Piccolo, English Horns, Oboe, Clarinet, French Horn, Trumpet, Church Organ, Trombone, Tuba, Cello, Contra Bass, Viola, Violin, Orchestra Drum Kit, Full Sections.
Honestly, what makes this plugin great is the variety of instruments, since there is no shortage of them, plus they all sound pretty damn good!
You can download DSK Overture here.
BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover by Spitfire Audio
Here’s another great addition by Spitfire.
The BBC Symphonic Orchestra Discover actually sells for $49, but you can fill out a form and they will send it to you after 14 days for completely free.
This library is clearly aimed at beginners since it is very simple to use and straight-forward, plus it already comes premixed into one mix signal which gives you less control over it, but makes things easier if you’re just starting out.
It features a total of 33 instruments and 47 techniques, and thanks to Spitfire’s new mode switching technology, you can share and collaborate with fellow composers, regardless of which edition they own.
You can download the BBC Symphonic Orchestra here.
If you’re also Interested in finding the best sounding Free Drum Vst Plugins, then read this article I wrote about the ones I think are absolutely fantastic.
One Track Orchestra (Windows)
One Track orchestra is primarily a sketching tool, meant to be used for songwriting and recording demos and aimed mostly at beginners and songwriters who need a simple tool to create and record music.
Therefore, the sound quality and usability aren’t the best ones out there.
The plugin was created using samples from VSCO Community Edition and assembled with Maize Sampler.
It is available as 32-bit & 64-bit VST plugin for Windows.
You can download One Track Orchestra Here.
Related: I love free plugins, so I put together a list of the best Free Synth VST Plugins out there which you can check out here,
Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (Windows)
You And Mebarry Mac And Cheese
The Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra Module contains the full SSO by Mattias Westlund, in one simple VST plugin (32 & 64bit)
The SSO samples are stereo, 16 bit, 44kHz.
While it’s not the most professional Orchestral Sample Plugin out there, it will certainly provide the building blocks for creating some astounding virtual orchestra sounds.
Melodic instruments and chromatic percussion are sampled in minor 3rds and all samples have varying amounts of stage ambience, depending on their front-to-back placement.
SSO is the one plugin on this list that provides the highest number of instruments.
You get loads of String instruments, Brass instruments, Woodwind instruments, Keys and Choirs, Chromatic Percussion and Regular Percussion.
You And Mebarry Machesney Park
You can download it here.
DSK Virtuoso (Windows)
DSK Virtuoso allows you to play a combination of 6 layer instruments, or to play a composition up to 6 different parts, through the MIDI channels selectors.
The included instruments are;
Acoustic Piano, Harpsichord, Church Organ, Celesta, Glockenspiel, Vibes, Harp, Flute, Piccolo, English Horns, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba,
Cello, ContraBass, Viola, Violin, Orchestra Drum Kit, and more.
You can download DKS Virtuoso here.
You may also be interested in trying out some Free Bass Amp VST Plugins which should help you achieve a better sounding mix!
VSCO2 – Chamber Orchestra 2 (Windows, Mac)
The Community Edition, which is the free edition of these samples, comes with a total of 19 instruments, ranging from Woodwinds to Brass, Keys, Mallets, Strings and Percussion.
Decades of work have gone into creating these samples using nothing but the best equipment to capture them.
You can download the VSCO2 library here.
Learn how to Produce music
If you want to learn how to produce music at home the right way and without making too many mistakes, then I’d recommend that you read these posts;
The reason I like these kinds of plugins so much is that you can create complete song just by using virtual instruments.
You will need a good MIDI controller to do this properly and fast, even though you can manually add in every note in your DAW.
I hope this information was useful!
See you on the next one.
You and Me may refer to:
- You & Me, a 2012 novel by Padgett Powell
- Yuu & Mii, a 1984 manga by Hiroshi Aro
Film and television
- You and Me (1938 film), by Fritz Lang
- You and Me (Neowa Na), a 1967 South Korean film starring Choi Moo-ryong
- You and Me (1975 film), a 1975 film by David Carradine
- You and Me (2005 film) (Wo men lia), a Chinese film directed by Ma Liwen
- You and Me (British TV series), a British children's television programme
- You and Me (New Zealand TV series), a family show hosted by Suzy Cato
- You and Me (anime) (Kimi to Boku), a 2011 anime series based on the manga Kimi to Boku
- You+Me, duo with Alecia Moore and Dallas Green, and the title song, 'You and Me' (see below)
- You 'n' Me (Al Cohn-Zoot Sims Quintet album), 1960
- You & Me (Joe Bonamassa album), 2006
- You & Me (EP), by KARD, 2017
- You and Me (Open Hand album), and the title song, 2005
- You and Me (Shane Filan album), 2013
- You and Me (Tammy Wynette album), and the title song (see below), 1976
- You & Me (The Walkmen album), 2008
- You and Me, by Declan Galbraith, and the title song, 2007
- You and Me, by Little Brazil, and the title song, 2005
- 'U & Me', by Cappella
- 'U & Mi', by Dr. Alban
- 'U + Me (Love Lesson)', by Mary J. Blige
- 'You and Me' (Olympic theme song), the theme song of the 2008 Summer Olympics
- 'You and Me (Babe)', by Ringo Starr
- 'You and Me (Tonight)', by Alistair Griffin
- 'You and Me Song', by The Wannadies
- 'Now and Forever (You and Me)', by Anne Murray
- 'Promise (You and Me)', by Reamonn
- 'Tú y Yo' (Thalía song) ('You and Me'), by Thalía
- 'You and Me', by Aaron Pritchett from In the Driver's Seat
- 'You and Me', by Archers of Loaf from Icky Mettle
- 'You and Me', by Aretha Franklin from Spirit in the Dark
- 'You and Me', by Ben Rector from Something Like This
- 'You and Me', by Bowling for Soup from Tell Me When to Whoa
- 'You and Me', by the Byrds, from the reissue of Mr. Tambourine Man
- 'You + Me', by Carola Häggkvist from My Show
- 'You and Me', by The Cockroaches
- 'You and Me', by Connie Smith from Long Line of Heartaches
- 'You and Me', by The Cranberries from Bury the Hatchet
- 'You and Me', by Crash Vegas
- 'You & Me', by Easyworld from This Is Where I Stand
- 'You and Me', by Ed Roland from Anniversary
- 'You and Me', by Enchantment from Soft Lights, Sweet Music
- 'You and Me', by Frost
- 'You and Me', by Go from Go Too
- 'You and Me', by Gustaf Spetz
- 'You and Me', by J-Kwon from Hood Hop
- 'You and Me', by James Brown from I'm Real
- 'You and Me', by Jeanie Tracy from Me and You
- 'You and Me', by Jimmy Rankin from Song Dog
- 'You and Me', by Joe Pass from Simplicity
- 'You and Me', by John Cale from Helen of Troy
- 'You and Me', by Johnny Cash from Gone Girl
- 'You and Me', by June
- 'U and Me', by Junior Senior from Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
- 'You and Me', by Keef Hartley from Lancashire Hustler
- 'You and Me', by Ken Block from Drift
- 'You and Me', by Kenny Rogers with Dottie West, from Every Time Two Fools Collide
- 'You & Me', by Laze & Royal featuring Myah Marie!
- 'You and Me', by Leslie Cheung from Red
- 'You and Me', by Lil Suzy from Back to Dance
- 'You and Me', by Marlena Shaw from Just a Matter of Time
- 'You & Me', by Marshmello
- 'You and Me', by Mick Ronson from Heaven and Hull
- 'You and Me', by Mike Harrison from Rainbow Rider
- 'You and Me', by Modern Talking from Romantic Warriors
- 'You And Me', by Mumzy Stranger from Mumzy MixTape
- 'You and Me', by Musiq from Aijuswanaseing
- 'You and Me', by Neil Young from Harvest Moon
- 'You and Me', by Niall Horan from Flicker
- 'You and Me', by the O'Jays from Family Reunion
- 'You and Me', by Ohio Players from Ecstasy
- 'You and Me', by Parachute from The Way It Was
- 'You and Me', by Patti LaBelle from It's Alright with Me
- 'You and Me', by Patty Larkin from Perishable Fruit
- 'You & Me', by Penny and the Quarters
- 'You and Me', by Peter Allen from Not the Boy Next Door
- 'You and Me', by Plain White T's from Every Second Counts
- 'You and Me', by Roger Daltrey from Daltrey
- 'You and Me', by Ronnie Dyson from The More You Do It
- 'You and Me', by Robyne Dunn, Geoff Robertson & Kevin Bennett from the film Blinky Bill: The Mischievous Koala
- 'You and Me', by Sandy Green
- 'You and Me', by Sonny & Cher
- 'You and Me', by Stevie Wonder from My Cherie Amour
- 'You and Me', by the Stylistics from Round 2
- 'You and Me', by T-Pain, an unreleased song from Rappa Ternt Sanga
- 'You and Me', by Tessanne Chin from In Between Words
- 'You and Me', by Tiffany from the film Jetsons: The Movie
- 'You and Me', by Tom Petty from The Last DJ
- 'U & Me', by Trina from Diamond Princess
- 'You and Me', by Trio Töykeät from Wake
- 'You and Me', by UFO from Making Contact
- 'You and Me', by Vega 4 from You and Others
- 'You and Me', by Vengaboys from The Party Album
- 'You and Me', by the Veronicas from their eponymous album
- 'You and Me', by the Verve from the single 'This Is Music'
- 'You and Me', by Wayne Brady from A Long Time Coming
- 'You 'N' Me', by Whitesnake from Lovehunter
- 'You and Me', by You+Me from Rose ave.
- 'You and Me', by Zakir Hussain from Making Music
- 'You and Me', from the film Victor Victoria
- 'You and Me (But Mostly Me)', from the musical The Book of Mormon
- 'You and Me (In My Pocket)', by Milow
- 'You and Me (Less Than Zero)', by Danzig from the film Less Than Zero
- 'You and Me (Voce e Eu)', by Lalo Schifrin from Piano, Strings and Bossa Nova
- 'You and Me (We Wanted It All)', by Christian Bautista and Rachelle Ann Go
- 'You and Me (We Wanted It All)', by Frank Sinatra from Trilogy
- 'You and Me', from the film Descendants 2
- 'You and Me, Me and You', by Nella and Trinket from Nella the Princess Knight
- You and Me (Peking opera), a 2013 Peking opera production directed by Zhang Yimou